Monday, July 16, 2007

Andre Kertesz


When I'm travelling I often like to take one or two of the little Phaidon 55 or Photo Poche books with me to leaf through in a quiet moment.

One I brought with me this time was on Andre Kertesz. Kertesz has always been on of my favourite photographers. His pictures often have a grace and gentleness to them and yet they so oftain remain dynamic.


In some ways, I think he embodies a certain 20th Century "quick with the eye" aesthetic far better than say Henri Cartier-Bresson, who seems much more of a cool (even cold) virtuoso. To me Ketesz is much more human.

Last year I got hold of a copy of the very small book of pictures selected from the many early contact prints in the Kertesz archive - Andre Kertesz:The Early Years and found it to be a gorgeous little jewel of a book.

Whenever I return to Kertesz's work it is always something of a refreshing inspiration.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Read "Zen in the Art of Archery" by Eugen Herrigel and perhaps you'll gain an insight of where HCB says he developed his detachment. He said this was his photography "manual."